NetBSD is a free, open source Unix-like operating system, and has support for PA-RISC 1.1 systems
in its NetBSD/hppa port since around 2005, called NetBSD/hp700 until the 7.0 release, as a
Tier II port.
The port focuses on 32-bit PA-RISC 1.1 computers and 64-bit PA-RISC 2.0 systems in 32-bit. The current effort is largely based on Michael Shalayeff’s work on the OpenBSD/hppa kernel from 2004 to 2005 and updated OpenBSD code later on.
NetBSD describes the following systems as supported (in the 7.0 release, as of 2015/2016), unsure if all are completely supported and tested.
- 712, 715, 725, 735, 755
- 742i 743i, 745i, 747i, 748i
- A180 and A180C
- B132L, B160L, B132L+, B180L+,
- C100, C110, C132L, C160L,
- D200, D210, D220, D230, D300, D310, D320, D330
- E25, E35, E45, E55 (apparently, and with serial console only, without SCSI)
- J200, J210, J210XC,
- K100, K200, K210, K220, K400, K410, K420
- RDI PrecisionBook
- SAIC Galaxy 1100
System (hardware) is 64-bit but running in 32-bit mode.
- B1000, B2000, B2600
- C160, C180, C200, C240, C360
- C3000, C3600, C3650, C3700, C3750
- J280, J282, J2240
- J5000, J5600, J6000, J6700, J6750, J7000, J7600
Buses and chipsets
On--board Ethernet and Fast-Ethernet network interfaces are supported; the FDDI sliders on the 735/755 are not supported. Expansion cards for the GSC/HSC and PCI bus slots with a supported Ethernet chipset (Intel i82596, DEC 21142/43 Tulip, Intel i8255x, Realtek 8120/8139, NE2000, SiS 900) could work.
Realtek RTL8150L USB-based Ethernet adapters are supported.
GSC/HSC and PCI expansion cards with one of the 53C710 or 53C8xx (siop) SCSI chipsets, Adaptec 2940 (ahc) PCI and various Qlogic ISP PCI SCSI adapters should also work, however not necessarily for booting.
SGC graphics (framebuffer). At the present there is no working X server.
Human I/O is supported via PS/2 and HIL.
Several PCI USB adapters from VIA and ALi have been tested and are known to work; they support USB mass-storage and Ethernet devices. The onboard Harmony audio system is supported.
- NetBSD/hppa 7.0 (September 2015) ftp.netbsd.org
- INSTALL - Installation procedure for NetBSD/hppa for 7.0 release, NetBSD (September 2015: accessed January 2016)
- NetBSD/hppa official port page, NetBSD (October 2015, accessed January 2016)