SAIC Galaxy 1100
|Caches||64/256 KB L1|
|Bandwidth||Cache 480 MB/s
System 128 MB/s
The SAIC Galaxy 1100 is a portable PA-RISC workstation based on the regular HP 9000/712 workstation in a ruggedized, portable case. However it is not a notebook since it lacks a battery and needs to be connected to standard AC power input.
The Galaxy 1100 is a very rare system, originally built for military/intelligence applications to the following standards, introduced in 1994.
- Portable requirements: Navy TAC-4
- Shock: Federal Test Method Standard 101C, Method 5007.1 free-fall drop test
- Airborne: MIL-STD-740-1, Grade C, Table 1
SAIC developed several special I/O devices attached to the mainboard via GIO/TSIO expansion cards.
- PA-7100LC 60 MHz with 1 KB on-chip L1 and 64 KB off-chip L1 cache
- PA-7100LC 80 MHz with 1 KB on-chip L1 and 256 KB off-chip L1 cache
The 1 KB on-chip L1 cache is not really a true cache.
- LASI ASIC, which features:
- NCR 53C710 8-bit single-ended SCSI-2
- Intel 82596CA 10 Mbit Ethernet controller
- WD 16C522 compatible parallel
- Harmony CD/DAT quality 16-bit stereo audio
- NS 16550A compatible serial
- Artist graphics, 8-bit
- Intel 82503 Ethernet transceiver, media auto-selection
- CS4215 or AD1849 programmable CODECs
- WD37C65C Floppy controller
- Two AM29F010 Flash EPROMs
- PCMCIA controller
- 10.4″ active matrix LCD
- XGA resolution, i.e., 1024×768
- 256 colors (8-bit color depth)
- 60Hz refresh
- PS/2-compatible, 84-key integrated QWERTY keyboard with 12 function keys
- Trackball and three-button pad
- 72-pin ECC SIMMs, same as on standard HP 9000 712
- (Original documentation describes proprietary memory modules)
- 8-32 MB modules
- Four sockets
- 16 MB (2×8) minimum, 128 MB (4×32) maximum
- Memory has to be installed in pairs, starting from slot 0, which is the closest slot to the drives.
- Two PCMCIA slots, for either two Type I/II or one Type III PCMCIA card
- One 3.5″ Fast-Narrow 50-pin SCSI-2 hard drive
- One 3.5″ 1.44 MB Floppy drive
- 50-pin HD SCSI-2 Fast-Narrow single-ended
- DB9 male RS232C serial (up to 115200 baud)
- DB25 female parallel
- TP/RJ45 10 Mbit Ethernet
- 15-pin AUI 10 Mbit Ethernet
- HD15 VGA
- Two PS/2 connectors for keyboard & mouse
- Three phone jacks (microphone, headphones and line-in)
- SAIC Galaxy 1100 product page (archive.org mirror)
- Old product page with photos and details on the SAIC. Science Applications International Corporation (1996). Archive.org mirror accessed 2 Oct 2007.
|Model||SPEC92, int||SPEC92, fp||SPEC95, int||SPEC95, fp|
|Galaxy 1100 80 MHz||99||122||3.12||3.55|
Compare these with other results on the Benchmarks page.
- 114×412×311 mm height/width/depth
- 8.2kg net weight