HP Visualize C160, C180 (C-Class)
|Cache||1-2 MB L1|
|Bandwidth||CPU/Mem 960 MB/s|
These HP Visualize C-Class workstations were graphics workstations equipped with the 64-bit PA-8000 processor. The C180 and C200 were the higher-end offerings with stronger CPUs and usually better configurations, as compared to older HP Visualize C100, C110, or lower-cost C132L, C160L. The case is similar to that of the HP 9000/735 workstation, built of interlocking modules. These machines were aimed at CAD/CAM/3D modelling.
The C180 is also sometimes referred to as C180XP
Model numbers: both the C160 and C180 have the HP 9000/780 model number.
- C160: PA-8000 160 MHz with 512/512 KB off-chip I/D L1 cache
- C180: PA-8000 180 MHz with 1024/1024 KB off-chip I/D L1 cache
- UTurn I/O adapter Runway to GSC bridge
- MMC/SMC memory controllers
- LASI I/O chipset
- NCR 53C710 8-bit single-ended SCSI-2
- NCR 53C720 16-bit Fast-Wide high-voltage differential (HVD) SCSI-2
- Intel 82596CA 10 Mbit Ethernet controller
- Harmony CD/DAT quality 16-bit stereo audio
- Wax EISA bridge
- Dino GSC-to-PCI bridge
- Visualize-EG graphics
- Other I/O (serial, parallel, Floppy, HP-HIL)
» View a system-level ASCII-illustration of the chipset.
- Runway CPU/memory bus (120 MHz with 960 MB/s peak bandwidth)
- Cache: 128-bit wide bus between cache and CPU
- C160: 2.56 GB/s I-fetch, 2.56 GB/s D-load (16-Byte), 1.26 GB/s D-store (8-Byte)
- C180: 2.88 GB/s I-fetch, 2.88 GB/s D-load (16-Byte), 1.44 GB/s D-store (8-Byte)
- GSC-2 general system-level I/O bus
- EISA additional expansion I/O bus
- PCI-32/33 high-performance device I/O bus
- SCSI-2 single-ended bus
- SCSI-2 Fast-Wide high-voltage differential main storage I/O bus
- 72-pin ECC SIMMs, 60ns or faster
- Bus width: 128 data bits with 16 check bits
- Up to 8-way interleaving
- 960 MB/s peak bandwidth
- Takes 16-256 MB modules (needs latest firmware-revision for large modules)
- 12 slots
- 32 MB (2×16) minimum, 3 GB (12×256) maximum
- One slot for either a GSC (EISA formfactor) or PCI 32-bit/33 MHz, 3.3 V card
- One slot for either a GSC (EISA formfactor), EISA or PCI 32-bit/33 MHz, 3.3 V card
- Two slots for either GSC (EISA formfactor) or EISA cards
- I/O slot layout (from top to bottom):
- EISA or GSC
- EISA or GSC
- PCI-32/33, 3.3 V or EISA or GSC
- PCI-32/33, 3.3 V or GSC
The disk-slider can accomodate up to three SCSI drives and one floppy drive simultaneously, the internal cabling (usually) includes one Wide-SCSI cable with three 68-pin connectors and a HVD-terminator at the end, one Narrow-SCSI with one 50-pin connector and one cable for the floppy.
The Narrow-SCSI cable is normally used for the external-accessible half-height 5.25″ CD/DAT drive, although it is of course also possible to connect a 50-pin SE hard drive. The cable can also be easily replaced with a variant with more connectors to use up to three 50-pin SE hard drives. The PDC can boot off these SE drives.
The Wide-SCSI cable is normally used for the internal 3.5″ 68-pin Fast-Wide high-voltage differential system drives. Up to three hard drives can be installed in the cage, which leaves no room for an external-accessible CD/DAT drive though. The Fast-Wide drives are also bootable from the PDC.
A standard configuration could look like this:
- Two 3.5″ 68-pin Fast-Wide differential (HVD) SCSI hard drives,
- One 3.5″ Floppy drive and
- One external-accessible half-height 5.25″ SCSI drive (CD/DAT).
- 50-pin HD SCSI-2 single-ended
- 68-pin HD SCSI-3 Fast-Wide differential (HVD)
- Two DB9 male RS232C serial (up 460.8Kb/s)
- DB25 female parallel
- TP/RJ45 10 Mbit Ethernet
- 15-pin AUI 10 Mbit Ethernet
- EVC graphics port1
- Two PS/2 connectors for keyboard and mouse
- HP-HIL for input device loop
- Four phone jacks (microphone, headphones, line-in and ?)
- You need a special HP adapter-cable to convert this EVC-port to either BNC or HD15 VGA
There is a firmware update available for the C160 and C180, which contains the latest version (6.2).
- PF_CC2X0062.text has details about the contents and installation of the patch.
- PF_CC2X0062.frm contains the patch.
- Model C160 / C180 / C200 / C240 / C360 Owner’s Guide (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Service Handbook C Class (PDF, 1.5 MB)
|Model||SPEC95, int||SPEC95, fp||SPEC95
Compare these with other results on the Benchmarks page.
- 138×539×447 mm height/width/depth
- 16.7kg net weight, 21.1kg fully loaded
- 525W max. power input
- 5.0A max. RMS at 240V
- 9.5A max. RMS at 120V